|Share this article:|
Vertica QuickStart for Qlik Sense
Click here to read this document in PDF format.
What is a QuickStart Application?
The Vertica QuickStarts are sample applications that show how complementary technologies can work together to deliver outstanding benefits to end users. Each QuickStart uses Vertica Analytic Database with a different BI or ETL tool from a Vertica technology partner.
The QuickStarts are available for download free of charge on the Big Data Marketplace in the QuickStart Examples category.
About this Document
This document explains how to deploy and use the Vertica QuickStart for Qlik Sense Desktop. The document includes the setup information that you need to get up and running, and it provides an overview of the Qlik Sense dashboards and the Vertica data source.
Vertica QuickStart for Qlik Sense Overview
The Vertica QuickStart for Qlik Sense is a sample BI application implemented as a Qlik Sense app and powered by Vertica Analytic Database. The dashboards present sample retail data for analysis. The QuickStart shows how retail companies could use Vertica and Qlik Sense to quickly explore, visualize, and gain insight into their data stored in Vertica.
For a quick introduction to the Vertica QuickStart for Qlik Sense, see this short video:
The Vertica QuickStart for Qlik Sense requires Vertica database server with a standard installation of the VMart example database, Vertica client, and Qlik Sense.
Install the Software
To install the software that is required for running the QuickStart, follow these steps.
Install the Vertica Database Server
Vertica database server runs on Linux platforms. If you do not have Vertica, you can download the RPMs or a virtual machine free of charge from the Vertica Community Portal at https://my.vertica.com/.
To download and install Vertica Community Edition:
- On myVertica, under Vertica Community Edition, click Signup Now to register for a Community Edition Account.
- Provide your information and click Signup.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to download and install Vertica Community Edition.
Install the VMart Example Database
The Vertica QuickStart for Qlik Sense assumes a default installation of the Vertica VMart example database. Follow the tutorial in the Vertica Getting Started Guide to install VMart.
In the tutorial:
- Follow the steps in Installing and Connecting to the VMart Example Database.
- Note the default VMart database location shown in VMart Database Location and Scripts.
The VMart example database includes three schemas: Public, Online Sales, and Store. The schemas are interrelated and share many dimensions. For details, see VMart Example Database Schema, Tables, and Scripts.
Install Qlik Sense Desktop
Qlik Sense Desktop runs on Windows desktop platforms. If you do not have Qlik Sense Desktop, you can download and install it as follows:
- Go to the Qlik Sense website.
- Download the Qlik Sense installation file.
- Launch the executable.
- Follow the prompts to install Qlik Sense Desktop.
Watch the Qlik Sense video, Qlik Sense Desktop Installation and Prerequisites, for a quick overview.
Install the ODBC Client Driver
Before you can connect to Vertica using Qlik Sense, you must download and install the Vertica client package. This client package includes the Vertica ODBC driver that Qlik Sense uses to connect to Vertica.
Download and install Vertica Client
- Go to the Vertica Client Drivers page on the myVertica portal.
- Download the Vertica client package that matches your version of Windows and Vertica server.
- Follow the steps for installing the Vertica client as described in the Vertica documentation.
Note Vertica drivers are forward compatible, so you can connect to the Vertica server using previous versions of the client. For more information, see Client Driver and Server Version Compatibility in the Vertica documentation.
Create a Data Source Name
Qlik Sense Desktop uses a Data Source Name (DSN) to connect to Vertica. You must create a DSN based on the architecture of your operating system and the Qlik Sense version that you installed. Qlik Sense Desktop will use this DSN to connect to your Vertica database.
To set up a 64-bit DSN:
- Go to the Windows Run window,
- Type Set up data sources (ODBC).
- Select the executable.
For a 64-bit windows machine, this shortcut points to 64-bit ODBC data sources executable, located in
For detailed information about creating a DSN, follow the instructions in the Vertica documentation: Setting Up a DSN.
Deploy the QuickStart
To deploy the QuickStart, first download it, then start it up and create a connection to Vertica.
Download the QuickStart
- Go to the Big Data Marketplace and log in with your Marketplace credentials.
- Select QuickStart Examples.
- Select Vertica QuickStart for Qlik Sense.
- Click Download.
Connect to the Vmart Data Source
- Navigate to the folder where you downloaded the compressed file and extract the contents.
- Place the QuickStart Qlik Sense file, qvf, in the default Qlik Sense applications folder. On Windows, the default Qlik Sense apps location is:
- From the Windows Start menu, open Qlik Sense Desktop.
- On the Qlik Sense Desktop hub tab, click the VMart_quick_start
- On the Navigation menu, click Data load editor to connect to your Vertica Vmart database.
- On the Data connections panel on the right-hand side of the screen, click the Edit connection
- In the Edit connection (ODBC) dialog box, select the appropriate bitness and the DSN connection that you previously created.
- Enter the username and password.
- If the DSN has a saved username and password, you can leave those fields blank. Leave the default name VMart and click
- On the left-hand side of the window, click Load data.
- To view the dashboards, on the Navigation menu, click App overview.
- Click the specific dashboard that you want to explore.
About the QuickStart Dashboards
The QuickStart dashboards present sample business and operational data that a large retail chain might track over time. The chain operates brick-and-mortar stores and an online marketplace. It sells a wide variety of products that it purchases from different vendors.
Note The data in your dashboards will not match the data in the screen shots in this document. This is because the VMart data generator generates data randomly.
The Executive Dashboard presents a high-level view of the business data that is shown in greater detail in the other dashboards. You can use this dashboard to analyze the overall functioning of the business over time.
Online Sales Dashboard
This dashboard presents information that you can use to analyze the performance of the chain’s online sales over time.
Store Sales Dashboard
This dashboard presents information that you can use to analyze the performance of the chain’s store sales over time.
This dashboard presents information that you can use to discover patterns of customer behavior over time.
Call Center and Employee Dashboard
This dashboard presents information that you can use to analyze the performance of the chain’s sales personnel, both in stores and in online call centers.
This dashboard presents information that you can use to analyze products sold online and in stores over time.
This dashboard presents information that you can use to analyze the chain’s interaction with different vendors over time.
This dashboard presents information that you can use to analyze the chain’s inventory over time.
Find More Information
Connecting Vertica and QlikView
Vmart example database
Big Data Marketplace
The Vertica QuickStart for Qlik Sense is intended as an example of complementary technologies: Qlik Sense with Vertica Analytic Database. As such, it is freely available for demonstration and educational purposes to anyone wishing to explore these technologies. The QuickStart is not a product, and is not governed by any license or support agreement.